We got out of the house today!! It felt so good after nine days of being home bound with sickness. The kids are not 100% but much better. It was not what most would have considered an exciting outing. It was our every 2 weeks grocery shopping trip. We only shop every 2 weeks because I find that I spend less and then it is less interruption in our schedule. My little secret is that I love grocery shopping. I am a saver by nature and grocery shopping lets me spend money guilt free :D :D. Silly but true. Shopping with six children is always an adventure! Not because of my children as much as the other people observing my children. We cannot get through a store without being commented on usually by multiple people.
The common comments:
- Are they all yours?
- Are any of them twins?
- Are you running a daycare?
- Are you catholic?
- Are you mormon/lds?
- Wow you have your hands full!! (this should have been at the top as I get this one every time I am out).
- I could never do that!
- You must be a very patient person. ( Now why people think I have achieved this because I have numerous kids is beyond me.)
- Then there are the counters - the ones that stare and then start counting out loud and pointing while elbowing their friend.
- Are you a politician? ( Yes, we actually got this one.)
- Haven't you figured out what causes that yet? (Please don't ask Stephen this because his response makes me blush.)
- It should be illegal to have that many kids? ( Didn't handle this one as well, I was having a rough day and my husband was in Iraq - in all honesty I cried, after giving him a dirty look.)
- Your children are sooo well behaved. ( I like this one.)
- WOW , you are so very blessed! ( This is most often from the elderly who constantly encourage me by smiling and stopping and talking to the kids.)
- Wow, do you want to take mine?
I will so miss this season of our lives! I will miss not parking as close to the door as I can but parking as close to a cart as I can - so I can load everyone up. I will miss people's comments. I will miss it taking 5 minutes just to get out of the car. I will miss us taking up half an aisle as we shop - sometimes filling two carts. I will miss having all their little hands on the cart. My four oldest each have a corner of the cart that they have to hold onto at all times. Well Caleb doesn't so much anymore. He walks alongside me unless I have him running and getting something. Titus and Hadassah ride in the cart. I will miss shopping taking half our day because we run to Costco and then Walmart. I will not miss the times when one suddenly needs a potty break and I have a cart full of groceries :D
I am so very blessed. Thank you, God!