Thursday, June 16, 2011

The Long Story Part 7

Back at part 5 , my mom was sweet enough to contribute in the comments.  I asked her if she could put her perspective of meeting Stephen.  So if you are interested - Long Story Part 5
 
 
Since I was unconscious at  this point in the story Stephen took the time and wrote the next part . . . 
 
 
Since Courtney was a little out of it at this point I get to take up "our story" for the next section.
I was in a car a couple hundred meters behind Courtney and as was mentioned the road is rather windy, so even though I was not very far behind I did not see the car go airborne.  So when I came around the corner I saw a lady standing next to the road trying to wave down some help, pulling off to the side of the road I looked over the edge and saw a little white car down the embankment.  My buddy and I got out and went to where the car had crashed through the bushes on the side of the road.  At this point Courtney was about half way up the steep hill without any shoes on and the horn on the car was going off.  After helping Courtney to the top I climbed down and got the horn to shut off and other than the smoke from the air bags it did not appear to be too bad.  So I climbed back up and was trying to comfort Courtney but I was being very awkward about it, because going through my head was, "Great, I was going to talk with Courtney about starting a relationship, now people are going to think I am taking advantage of the situation" so at one point Matt put my arm around her shoulders.
At this point we drove back to the base and called the Sheriff and Courtney's mom (who despite her best efforts to deny it started the first food fight and the second food fight, but I am getting ahead of myself).  When mom got up to the base we had moved Courtney up to her bed room and had her laying in bed, I was sitting on the bed next to her holding her hand still thinking "great, now I think I am taking advantage of the situation."  After a little while mom and Courtney went down to the E.R., air bags pack quite a punch, because Courtney had a concussion. 
As they were heading out Donna invited Matt and I down for a visit that night.

 __________________________________________________
 Courtney point of view . . . .
       I woke up to smoke around me and was very confused.  I thought something was on fire because of the smoke and thought, "ok, well I need to get away from the car if there is a fire." I later learned the smoke was from the air bag deploying. I started climbing back up to the road.  I remember looking down and realizing that I only had one sandal on.  I kind of remember thinking I didn't need it anymore since I had lost the other one.  I bent over, took it off and flung it down the mountain.
       I have some periods of time here where I don't remember much.  I had a solid concussion and actually struggled for months with being able to completely focus and having memory loss of that day.  I got to the road and Stephen and Matt were there by then as well as the lady who had been driving the truck.  They drove me back to the base and got me inside to some friends of mine.  I was so sick by then (because of the concussion).  I had some pain in my forearm, a rash across my face from the airbag and a horrible headache.  I went to my room and someone called my mom, who lived an hour away or so.  I crawled into my bed as I soon as I was done being sick.
           Stephen and Matt went to check out the car.  They turned it off ( what a thought ;) )  and saw that the whole frame had shifted.  It looked surprisingly good from above but it did need to be totaled.  Then Stephen and Matt came back to the base, with my shoes :D
          Now remember, I hit my head pretty badly and I guess it made me a little forward.  When Stephen came up to my room with Matt, I told him he could hold my hand if he wanted to.  Then after he took my hand I patted the bed and said he could sit here next to me.  So I am still a blushing thinking about it.  If it doesn't sound too bad it is because you weren't there. 
          A few minutes later my mom came.  She took in the whole situation and then asked me some basic questions while looking at my eyes.  I answered all of them wrong until she asked with a smirk, " Whose hand are you holding?"  I got that one right.
She told Stephen she was taking me to the hospital for a cat-scan and that he and Matt were welcome to come for dinner and spend the night.


The next couple hours I was at the hospital having tests run . . . and getting a ticket :P  - my only one.

When I got home my mom made dinner and we all hung out till midnight.   At 11pm my mom asked if anyone wanted caramel brownies and proceeded to bake.  She also started a flour food fight (are you seeing a pattern?)   Stephen and I were still holding hands on and off.  The next day he headed home and we talked about plans for me to come meet his family  . . . after I got a new car.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Food fight, schmood fight! A little flour, a little rice.....! I needed to make sure that Stephen was family worthy - he passed ;-) He's a keeper!